Cauliflower with green peas is a easy side that can be made quickly on a busy week night. It is very delicious and mildly spiced. Cauliflower gets crispy and green peas are soft and its a mixture of textures that gives this dish the awesome taste. This is my family's favourite side and my kids love it. I serve it with sambar rice, rasam rice, roti, vegetable upma, pairs well with almost all the dishes.
The picture below is old one, but just love it. Look at that cutie !!!
- 2 Cups Cauliflower Florets - Cleaned and washed
- 1/4 Cup Fresh/ Frozen Green Peas
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder ( you can use ground pepper if you do not have red chilli powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Small Sized onion Chopped finely
- a pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
- Salt as required
Directions1. In a pan heat oil on medium flame. When the oil is hot , add mustard seeds. When they pop, add urad dal. Wait for the dal to turn golden. Then add cumin seeds and sauté for few seconds
2. Add chopped onion and salt. When the onion is soft, add chilli and turmeric powder, hing.
Give it a good stir and add cauliflower with 1/2 Cup water
3. Let the Cauliflower cook for about 3 to 4 min or half way cooked. Then add green peas
and cook till water is evaporated
4. Once all water is evaporated, reduce the flame to lowest setting and let the cauliflower brown
for 5 mins
5. Switch off flame and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve hot as a side to steamed rice