Thursday 10 April 2014

Chicken cooked in Goda Masala - Maharastrian Special

Goda masala is a mixture of spices and it is very famous in Marathi Cuisine. It is a dry mixture and it has coriander powder, red chillies, cumin seeds, shah Jeera, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, star anise, cardamom, bay leaf, black pepper and dry coconut. :)  That's a lot of spices. This is the first time I am making a dish using goda masala.



My grandma and uncle live in Maharastra and we visit them once in a year during summer holidays. I have tasted authentic dishes of maharastra in so many famous restaurants there and also from a close neighbour of our grandma. One of the best mutton stew I had was at their home. They prepare the most flavourful mutton curry using goda masala. It has a unique aroma of roasted spices and coconut.



I have two packets of Goda masala that someone bought from Pune. It has been there for 3 weeks in my freezer and I never touched it. Finally here I am with a recipe using goda masala. Chicken and potatoes cooked in goda masala. This gravy is thick even without adding cream or coconut milk , aroma of spices filled my kitchen when I was cooking. This gravy is a must try if you have never tasted Marathi dish with goda masala

Ingredients

  • 200 grams Chicken pieces with bone ( Skinless)
  • 1 Medium sized potato cut in big chunks
  • 1 Medium Onion Chopped finely
  • 1/2 Tomato Chopped finely
  • 2 Teaspoon Goda masala
  • 2 Tablespoon Oil
  • Salt to taste  

Directions


1. In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add onions and fry until they are soft
2. Add tomatoes and fry till they are mushy
3. Add goda masala and fry in lowest flame settings for 5 minutes
4. Add cleaned chicken pieces and potato to the pan
5. Add 1 and 1/2 Cups of water , salt to taste and cook on medium flame until the chicken is cooked
6. Serve hot with steamed rice / roti / bread

No comments:

Post a Comment