Thursday 24 April 2014

Milk Bun

Inspired by Manjari Chowdhury's post on one of the Facebook groups, I baked these cutie buns. Her bread pictures were perfect and I loved the texture of bread pictures she posted.  Also, her recipes are fool proof, and worked perfectly for me always. I know for sure that I can blindly follow her recipe.  Her recipe was to make Milk bread,  however I rolled the dough in the shape of bun because my kids love buns more than Bread. For them , bread is for regular everyday breakfast and buns are special and tastier than bread :) 



Usually while baking bread, I have this Yeast Feat  - " Yeah, will my yeast raise or not"  but this time I was nervous for a different reasons. Original recipe was in grams measurement and I do not have weighing scale. I have to convert the ingredients from Grams to US Cups measurement. But I was lucky that I had a beautifully doubled dough. This bread is the softest I have ever baked. When you hold these buns, it feels like you are holding a new born baby's .... :) It tastes awesome , and fluffy inside.




Recipe Source : http://fromthekitchenstothetastebuds.blogspot.in/2014/04/milk-bread.html

Ingredients

  • 2 and 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
  • 50 ml Warm Water
  • 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Dry active Yeast
  • 190 ml Warm Milk ( milk should not be hot, it should be warm )
  • 1/4 Cup unsalted butter minus 1 Teaspoon
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt

Directions

1. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoon yeast to the 50 ml of warm water
2. Wait for the yeast to get active and froth
3. If it doesn't froth, discard and start with a new batch of warm water and yeast
4. In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt
5. Add honey and melted butter to the flour and using a spoon mix gently
6. Now add frothy water with yeast and warm milk to the flour and mix using your hand. Grease your hands well so that the flour doesn't stick on your hand
7. This mixture will be slightly sticky
8. Transfer this mixture in to working surface and using your hands, knead well for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the dough will not be sticky and it will be holding shape nicely. Shape it in the form of ball
9. Transfer this dough ball to a greased bowl and keep it in a warm place. I preheated my oven to 180C for 5 minutes, switched off the oven and then kept this dough bowl inside the oven. Heat in the oven will help raise the dough. Cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep the oven door slightly open
10. After 1 hour or 1 and 1/2 hours, the dough will be doubles in size
11. Take the dough out of the oven, punch it and knead again
12. Divide the dough into 5 or 6 equal sized balls in the shape of buns and place them on a greased cookie sheet
13. Return the cookie sheet to the warm oven and let the (bun) dough raise in the oven
14. After 30 minutes, the buns would have doubled in size and they are ready to bake
15. Preheat oven to 180 C
16. Brush the buns with milk wash ( 2 tablespoon milk with 1/2 teaspoon cream ). You can use egg wash instead of milk wash
16. Place the cookie sheet with bun dough in the oven and bake them at 180C for 40 minutes
17. Keep watching your buns after 30 minutes
18. Buns are done when the top is nice golden color
19. Let them cool in the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes
20. Then transfer them to the wire rack and cool completely
21. Serve with butter or Jam. I love eating it plain and my kids ate with chocolate hazelnut spread and jam
 

No comments:

Post a Comment