Tuesday 13 May 2014

Chire Bhaja - A snack with Poha - popular in Kolkatta

Chire Bhaja - yeah, not sure how to pronounce that word and never had this snack before. Chire Bhaja is a snack with fried poha and ground nuts and it is very popular in Kolkata. Thanks to one of the FB groups, I happened to see this snack posted by Chandrima Sarkar of http://notoutofthebox.in/. It looked too delicious. Chandrima was so sweet and she shared her recipe too. When I checked her recipe, I had all the required ingredients available to make. I recently bought a big pack of poha and wanted to use it while it is still fresh.

I had tried her sweet mango pickle last month and it was super hit in my family. My Son eats sweet mango chutney with bread and dosa and he loves it. And I know that this snack recipe from her blog also will be super hit. I could not wait to try it myself. Thank you Chandrima for an awesome snack recipe and you have a Beautiful blog with amazing recipes. I am definitely going to try much more recipes from your recipe blog.


                         
 
Original recipe was for 4 cups of Poha, I reduced the quantity and made only 1 Cup measure. I reduced the other spices accordingly.

                                  
                              
                       



Recipe Source : http://notoutofthebox.in/2014/01/kolkata-special-rice-flakes-poha-fry-kolkata-special-chinre-badam-bhaja/

Recipe Courtesy : Chandrima Sarkar

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup Poha / flattened rice flakes
  • 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seed Oil ( You can use vegetable oil / Canola Oil )
  • 2 Tablespoon Ground nuts
  • 2 sprigs of curry leaves
  • a big pinch of Nigella Seeds / Kalonji / Onion Seeds
  • 1 Dry Red Chilli
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
  • Salt to taste

Directions :

1. In a frying pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add ground nuts and fry them on low flame until they are crispy and they start changing color
2. Remove them from the pan and place it in a bowl or on a paper towel to drain excess oil
3. In the same pan, add curry leaves to the left over oil an fry until curry leaves are crispy. Remove from the pan and place them in the bowl along with fried groundnuts
4. Next add onion seeds, broken red chilli and fry quickly for few seconds
5.Immediately add poha / flattened rice flakes
6. Sprinkle salt , black pepper, cumin powder and mi everything together
7. Fry poha until they are crispy and the color starts changing slightly
8. Switch off flame and check / adjust salt and spice levels
9. Add fried poha to the bowl and mix fried ground nuts and curry leaves with the poha
10. Cool completely and serve with a cup of masala chai
11. Store the snack in a airtight container. I finished my snack with tea. Will be making my net batch tomorrow and will store in airtight container for the whole week

 

No comments:

Post a Comment