Dear Readers, Wishing you all a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year ! May this year brings all the desired success and happiness in your life that you can cherish always. Thank you very much for your support and for being part of my food journey.
Here is my first post of this year 2015:
Dal Makhani / Rich lentil sauce is popular dish from Punjab , India. It's thick rich gravy made out of whole black lentils ( urad dal) , red kidney beans, butter and cream. Lentils are soaked overnight and then slow cooked for hours. Overcooked lentils are mashed gently and then mixed with a onion tomato sauce with butter and fresh cream and simmered to the right consistency.
Yield : 2 Servings
- 1/2 Cup whole Urad Dal ( black lentils)
- 2 Teaspoons Rajma (Red kidney Beans)
- 1 Teaspoon fresh ginger chopped finely
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped finely
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt + a big pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 Garlic Cloves chopped finely
- 1/4 Teaspoon hing / asafoetida
- 1 Large red onion chopped finely
- 1/2 Cup tomato puree
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 Tablespoon fresh cream
- Salt to taste
Directions1. In a large pot, add whole urad dal, rajma and wash it 3 or 4 times in regular tap water. Soak the lentils in plenty of tap water for 8 hours or preferably over night.
2. After 8 hours, Drain water completely and wash the soaked lentils again for 2 or 3 times in tap water
3. Cook lentils : You can either cook the lentils in a large pot or in pressure cooker. To me slow cooked lentils in a pot tastes better than the pressure cooked ones. But to save time and energy I always pressure cook them. In a pressure cooker, add lentils along with 1 teaspoon fresh ginger and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves with 1 and 1/2 cups of water + 1/2 Teaspoon salt + a big pinch of turmeric powder. Pressure cook them on medium flame for 20 whistles. If you are cooking in a pot, add lentils along with ginger, garlic , turmeric powder, salt plus 2 and 1/2 cups of water and cook on high flame for an hour until they are overcooked and mushy. Do keep an eye on them and add more water if required
4. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid and mash the lentils with the back of a ladle
5. In a wok / pan , add butter. When the butter melts, add garlic cloves and fry until garlic turns light golden
6. Then add chopped onion and fry until they are soft
7. Add tomato puree + 1/2 Teaspoon salt and cook until oil starts separating from the mixture
8. Add red chilli powder and hing and give it a stir
9. then add cooked lentils and bring it to boil
10. Add fresh cream and simmer for 2 minutes
11. Switch off the flame. Dal Makhani is ready to be served. Add chopped cilantro leaves for garnish and top it with a big dallop of butter. Serve hot with roti or naan or steamed rice.