Instant spicy mango pickle that can be prepared and served instantly. Pairs perfectly with curd rice or sambar rice. This is a popular pickle that is served in Tamil weddings. I prefer using slightly sweet mango ( a variety called totapuri) for this pickle, however you can make with sour mango too. Also, marinating the mango pieces for 24 hours is optional. You can just toss salt and chilli powder and make the pickle immediately if you don't want to marinate.
- One Raw Mango ( I used totapuri) - cut into small pieces; about 1 and 1/4 Cup
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chilli Powder ( Adjust according to your taste)
- Salt as required
- 3 Tablespoon sesame seed oil / Coconut oil / Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad dal
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) or 1/4 teaspoon of dry roasted fenugreek seeds ground into fine powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Hing
Directions1. Wash mango well and wipe it with paper towel. Then cut it into very small pieces
2. Add salt and red chilli powder to the cut mango pieces and toss/mix thoroughly. Set aside for 24 hours. Toss the mango pieces once or twice in between. You can also refrigerate the mango pieces for 24 hours
3. In a pan heat oil. When the oil is hot add mustard seeds. when they pop open, add urad dal and fenugreek seeds.When the urad dal turns light golden and fenugreek seeds turn golden then add curry leaves.
4. When the curry leaves splutter, add hing and immediately add cut mango pieces which we marinated for 24 hours. Mix everything together
4. Simmer and let it cook for 5 min
5. Check salt and add more if required
6. Cool completely and transfer it to a air tight container. This pickle should be consumed on the same day. Do not leave it at room temperature for more than a day , because it gets spoiled easily at room temp.
7. This instant pickle stays good for 3 to 4 days in refrigerator