Broccoli and spinach bites are super crispy, perfectly seasoned and loaded with greens and cheese. A hearty and healthy way to include greens. Best served as an appetizer / finger food along with ketchup or green chutney / your favourite dip. These are also good as burgers inside bun/ pita bread / naan.
- 1 Large potato boiled and mashed
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Spinach ( I used fresh Palak )
- 1/2 Cup Bread crumbs ( I used homemade bread crumbs from whole wheat sandwich breads)
- 1/3 Cup grated Cheddar Cheese ( I used milky way cheddar cheese)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil to shallow fry
- 1/2 Teaspoon mixed dried herbs ( mix of dried thyme, rosemary and oregano)
- 1/2 Teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon red chilli powder
Directions1. Blanch broccoli and spinach : In a sauce pan bring water to boil. Season the water with a big pinch of salt. Add spinach leaves and blanch them quickly in hot water for a minute. Remove spinach leaves and squeeze excess water from spinach.
2. Add broccoli florets to the boiling water in the sauce pan and let them cook for 2 minutes. Remove them from hot water and shock them in ice cold water. Once they cool little bit, roughly chop broccoli florets into tiny florets / pieces
3. In a large bowl, add mashed potatoes, chopped spinach, broccoli florets, bread crumb, Cheese, cilantro leaves. Add all the seasoning listed under 'Seasoning'
4. Using hands mix everything together gently without breaking/ mashing the broccoli florets
6. Pinch 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of this mixture and roll them into balls. Gently flatten each ball and form patties. Set aside
7. In a pan / skillet heat oil. When the oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium and place the patties in the oil. I placed 6 patties in the pan once and shallow fried them both sides until they are crispy and golden
8. Once they are crispy, remove from oil and place them on a paper towel. Place one more paper towel over the cutlets and using a spatula press the paper towel over the cutlets to remove excess oil
9. Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney