Vegetarian version of panna cotta made with coconut cream, milk, cream and chin grass/ agar agar. It is smooth, silky and the combination of coconut milk with mango is heavenly. Topped with fresh mango slices these are the easiest and yummy dessert to make this summer.
Recipe Adapted From : http://www.sprinkleofcinnamon.com/coconut-milk-panna-cotta/
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream / First extract of homemade coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cream
- 1 Cup Milk ( I used full cream milk)
- 2/3 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of China Grass or Agar Agar + 1/4 Cup water to dissolve
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup sweet ripe mango chopped finely
Directions1. If you are using fresh coconut , here is how you can extract coconut milk from the coconut. If you are using canned coconut cream , you can skip this step number one and go directly to step number 2.
Slice coconut in to thin pieces and then add them to a food processor / mixie and pulse it couple of times. Then add 1/4 cup warm water and grind it for a minute. Add 1/4 more water and process the coconut until there are no big chunks of coconut. Next filter this coconut milk through a sieve or tea filter to remove the coconut and extract only the milk from coconut.
2. In a sauce pan, combine milk , fresh cream and sugar and bring it to boil in medium flame. Switch off the flame
3. In a microwave safe mug, add 1/4 cup water and heat it to 40 seconds. Then add finely chopped / cut china grass in the hot water in the coffee mug and stir in. Let it sit in the water for 5 minutes
4. After 5 minutes, the china grass will become translucent. now pop the mug again in microwave and microwave on high for 1 minute
5. Using a spoon stir china grass in hot water until they dissolve completely
6. Add this dissolved china grass in the milk + cream mixture
7. Add vanilla extract and stir in
8. Add coconut cream and stir in
9. Pour this mixture in ramekins / serving bowls and top it with chopped mango
10. Transfer the mixture to fridge and refrigerate for 4 hours until they are set
11. Serve with few slices of mango and cherry on top