Crispy, mildly spiced and delicious pan roasted potatoes with shallots and curry leaves. Par boiled potatoes are coated with rice flour and spice mixture , then tempered with curry leaves and shallots and pan roasted to crispy golden fries. These are so easy to make and super delicious. Best served with Steamed rice and Sambar / rasam or with South Indian style curd rice.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon Rice Flour
- 1 Teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped shallots
- Salt to taste
Directions1. In a sauce pan , add potatoes with skin on along with 1/2 Teaspoon of salt and plenty of water and cook the potatoes until a knife inserted goes through smooth. Potatoes should be just cooked and shouldn't be mushy. Alternatively you can pressure cook them with salt and 1/2 cup water for 4 whistles on medium flame.
2. Peel remove the skin and chop the potatoes into small cubes. I quartered each potato lengthwise and then cut each slice into 5 pieces
3. Add potato cubes in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle rice flour all over the potato cubes and toss gently using a spatula to coat the potatoes with rice flour on all sides
4. Now sprinkle red chilli powder , turmeric powder, cumin powder and freshly ground black pepper over the potatoes and toss to coat them evenly
5. In a wok / kadai, heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
6. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter
7. Then add urad dal and fry on medium flame until urad dal is light golden
8. Add curry leaves and fry until curry leaves turn crispy
9. Add shallots and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and fry until the shallots are crispy and light golden at the edges
10. Now add the rice flour and spice coated par boiled potato cubes to the kadai and gently toss / stir everything
11. Reduce the flame to low and let the potatoes get roasted in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure to stir them intermittently.
12. Once the potatoes turn golden and they turn crispy, switch off the flame and serve hot as a side with steamed rice and sambar / rasama or with curd rice.