These Coconut macaroons have the perfect texture, crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. The easiest and most delicious cookies ever!
- 4 Cups toasted grated coconut ( I used grated fresh coconut)
- 2 Egg whites
- 1/4 Cup Sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 Cup castor Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 160 C. In a baking tray spread the shredded coconut and bake at 160C for 2 minutes tossing intermittently until they are crispy. Do not brown the coconut flakes
2. In a large mixing bowl, add toasted coconut, condensed milk, castor sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Using a spatula combine everything. I used a splash of citrus rum. You can skip adding rum.
3. In a clean large mixing bowl, add egg whites. Make sure the bowl is clean and dry and absolutely no water. Using a electric beater beat the egg whites until firm peak forms
4. Immediately fold the beaten egg whites into the coconut mixture
5. Line and grease a cookie sheet / baking tray. Scoop out coconut mixture about 1 tablespoon size and place it on a greased tray. Bake at 180 C for 5 minutes
6. Then reduce the oven temperature to 160C and bake for 20 minutes or until the macaroons turn crispy and golden
7. Cool on a wire rack
8. Drizzle melted dark chocolate or nutella over the macaroons and Serve